House Tour

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

My little kitchen is finally pretty!


Today I am going to show you my kitchen.

Its a small galley style kitchen, but its 10 x's larger than the kitchen in our last house(which was military housing) I don't have tons of counter space, but its workable, and I definitely don't have enough cupboards, but it is enough space for the things I need, just don't get much extra for the stuff I want! lol 

When we moved in this was the color of the walls and counter top. Apparently the counter top, and cupboards are both original to the house and the counter top was orange, and the cupboards were yellow!!! The previous owners just freshly painted everything these colors. 








The first time I painted the kitchen I wanted a rustic orange......this is what I got....and the photos tone it down ALOT....it was almost neon!

You have to excuse the poor quality of the next few phots, these are the only ones I can find from when it was this color......




Notice Thing 1's very purple bedroom off the very orange kitchen......yikes!


These photos were taken during fall...the only time of year the orange looked (almost) good...lol 



The second time ( and most recent) that I painted the kitchen I went with a more softer, cooler tone. This color is Benjamin Moore's Rock port Gray. The photo graph makes it look a little green in a few places, but its not in real life.
 \
I still need to switch out the light fixtures...the one over the sink I am going with a hanging pendant light, and for the other one track lights.
I gave the cupboards a fresh coat of white paint, replaced all the old rusted, paint covered hinges with new shiny silver, soft closing ones. Replaced the knobs on the cupboard doors with handles, painted the back-splash (which is paint able wall paper, that was painted silver previously)white, and my sister painted the counter top (because she does a much better job than me on counter tops) 

The valance I made out of a painters drop cloth I bought at home depot...I got the idea from here.
 The space between the fridge and stove, I am planning on doing some open shelving, and displaying some white dishes, and pottery, as well as a pop of aqua
 The space above the window, I am going to either make a vintage looking wooden sign that says "Grocery" or "Groceries" or get some wooden letters from Micheals and painting them aqua.
 This photo is out of focus, but you get the idea...
I found this old window in our basement this past winter while moving stuff after we had an oil spill
I gave it a light coat of white paint, hung a wreath on it that I picked up at a yard sale a few summers prior, and there you have it! I like how it looks, and goes with the rest of the decor.


 I found this hutch on craigslist this past winter, for a great deal



 Notice Thing 1's now aqua colored bedroom......goes much better with the kitchen color than the last color scheme!


 I gave the hutch 2 coats of Beautitone's Everest in their cabinet and furniture paint


 I am seriously in love with how it turned out!


I love my little kitchen, it makes me so happy now, the whole makeover cost about $300. That's my kind of makeover!! 



3 comments:

  1. you did a very nice job love the hutch also looks fabulous, the only thing i would do is find a small cabinet or table and put in place of the bench to put your microwave on and free up more counter space i am sure you could find a deal and work your magic on it, plus it would give you more storage for those things you want lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. What kind of countertops do you have and how were they painted? THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monkey, we have tried that in the past and it makes the kitchen look and feel smaller and cramped, I have no problem with the microwave where it is. Thanks!

    Linda, the countertops were old laminate, we stated with a coat of bin primer, then sponge painted on the colors we wanted (using craft paint) then did 4 coats of polyurathane, with a light sanding in between each coat. I has held up so well!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Don't be shy! Let me know you stopped by!